EDDC Planning Application Number 16/1978/MFUL
I support the planning application by DCH (formerly Devon and Cornwall Housing Association). It is on the site of Danby House and Exebank that will be demolished. It will consist of Open Market Housing similar to those at Kingslake Rise along Mudbank Lane and 10 for ‘Affordable Rent’ and 8 for Shared Ownership. The homes along the frontage of the site facing the river are 18, 3 storey Town Houses similar to those at Kingslake Rise, Mudbank Lane.
DCH held an exhibition of the original plans at the Rugby Club, spoken to the residents of the disabled bungalows owned by Spectrum Housing and have had meetings with the private owners of the cottages within the development area. The plans were changed after all these meetings.
The plans are now deposited with EDDC for public to make their comments.
2013 – Housing Enabling Officer started to explore the possibility of the Council providing accommodation for single people in a shared house. The need for this kind of accommodation had been shown to exist in the Exmouth area.
June 2013 – proposal put to Housing Review Board and accepted
End of 2013 – suitable house in Exmouth (large Victorian terrace) identified and purchased with a view to refitting with six ensuite bedrooms, and shared kitchen and dining facilities.
2014/15 – careful thought went into the design for the project . Always planned to refit to high thermal efficiency level but idea of retrofitting to equivalent of passivhaus standards developed later
We have used commuted sum monies from other developments in Exmouth and right to buy receipts
What we hope to achieve
- A unit of shared accommodation which would set an example of high standards and good management for similar properties in the area such as private sector HMOs
- Provision of bedroom/ensuite accommodation in a shared house for 6 people
- Meeting demands for accommodation for single people of working age
- Retrofitting to high thermal efficiency to keep bills etc to a minimum
How will accommodation be allocated
- Through Devon Home Choice and interview
- Accommodation for single people aged approximately 20-55, with no support needs
- Accommodation will be let on a licence and there will be clear house rules which must be followed